CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Spooks are a Coming!!!!

Well its just 4 more days before the spooks and goblins come out.  And all that comes with this little holiday.   Yes this holiday is a beginning of a lot of weight gains. I know this because I lived through them.  Candy is my downfall, I love hard candy, a piece of chocolate occasionally is okay, but give me cinnamon or lemon drops and I'm good to go. But WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!.  Not any more.

So today I would like to touch base on the Effects that Sugar has on Bariatric patients. Since having my surgery 4  1/2 yrs ago.  I have a very low tolerance of sugar.  It gives me the dumping syndrome. 

What is Dumping Syndrome?
Dumping Syndrome is a problem that occurs in some patients after having gastric bypass surgery. It is the result of food passing too quickly into the small intestine. It is typically induced when the patient eats certain foods, such as sweets or certain carbohydrate sources (such as simple carbohydrates like sugar and some starches). It can also occur as a result of eating too much at one time.

Some symptoms of dumping syndrome include:
  • nausea or queasiness
  • a sense of fullness accompanied by discomfort
  • cramping
  • diarrhea
  • general weakness
  • profuse sweating
  • vomiting
  • heart palpitations (an increase in heart rate)

When do Symptoms Subside?

Once I have eaten some foods that give me some of the symptoms above It usually takes me a good 30 minutes for it to pass through others up to an hour. I get extremely lathargic. I compare it to what a diabetic experiences when their sugar drops.  I have found that lying down will allow these symptoms to pass quicker.

So with the thrills and chills coming into the air.  I say eat your candy in moderation. Or perhaps bypass it all together.  It will save you the after effects as well as a few pounds.  Some of the local dentists have came up with a great idea.  They are buying back candy..... The candy that is purchased is screened throughly and then mailed to our troops for treats.  I love this idea. I'm all about supporting our troops.

God Bless our troops.  May they come home soon, safely.

Happy Early Halloween=Tah Tah for Now,  Spooks........Goblins......

No comments:

Post a Comment